For some strange reason the term Mashed Potatoes keeps coming to mind when I have no other word to use to describe something. First of all, I have never really liked mashed potatoes. They are tasteless and take up way too much room in my stomach. I would much rather be filling it with a higher quality of food. This year I finally admitted to myself and those around me at the dinner table that I don't like mashed potatoes. How liberating it was to get that out of my system and hopefully I'll never choose them to be on my plate again. I have always eaten them, but never enjoyed them.
Ironically, Mashed Potatoes have become the theme of things I wish I could change about myself. For example: the term I found to describe my body....Mashed potatoes, I need to work out. My brain, "Hello, is anybody home?" I definitely am not as smart as I once thought I was...is it full of Mashed Potatoes? It is the best term I can find that works for just about anything.
As a result of feeling like Mashed Potatoes I making a commitment to my blog colleagues. (does that make me sound smart?) My post Thanksgiving goal is to become a little firmer and a little less like mashed potatoes in all aspects of my life. It is going to take Baby steps...Baby steps to be a little smarter, a little more spiritual, a little more musical and cultural,not to mention physically fit. So hopefully next time you see me I'll be working out, reading a non-fiction book, the scriptures, or practicing my cello (I don't actually have a cello, but I am dying to rent one and learn how to play) And hopefully next time I get in a big group of people, I'll be able to follow the conversation when it goes past recipes, poopy diapers, and toddler discipline.
10 comments:
Ok you are so funny! I love to read your blog and all of your honesty! Really. Ok you mashed potatoes comment is funny. I understand about not liking them. Here is what I have discovered. People do not make them "right" They require more than just butter and milk to mash them. Garlic salt, sour cream, salt and pepper, and sometimes cheese make them sooo good (not good for you I might add). I always change it up. I believe they should be good by themselves without gravy! Anyway our Thanksgiving wasn't too bad. We did go out to eat and it was kind of fun. Different for sure, but a good relaxing day!
I love mash potatoes, Love you
-josh
I like the metaphor and the non-New Year's resolutions. It's a good idea, you know? That's what I'm trying to do as well, and now that my satellite dish is dysfunctional, I seem to have more time.
And, as usual, your comments are always my favorite.
I have a mashed potatoes mommy brain as well, but when your life is only consumed by poopy diapers, potty training, preschool, and making PBJ's what's a girl to do? If you find a cure let me know.
So I posted a comment yesterday, or so I thought. But it was not there today. Oh well. I enjoy your comments. You are cracking me up.
You are too funny.
Jeff read your comment and started to laugh and goes, she's pretty funny huh? Yep you are hilarious Kristen. Pretty sure I saw you a week or so after you had that little babe and you looked smokin' so let's come up with some other side dish. Atleast pick something that's yummy to you, but I guess as long as it's Josh's favorite part of Thanksgiving mashed potatoes is perfect. Love your thoughts.
Mashed potatoes aren't bad, Kristen. I don't know if you're aware of THE Mashed Potato...as in the dance. Because if you aren't, you should rent Hairspray and you'll have a much better appreciation for it (and mashed potatoes in general).
I appreciate all of you positive comments on the Mashed Potato. And yes, I will be learning and performing mashed potato dance. Thanks Liz for setting me straight.
Kristen,
I think you are so cute! Don't be so hard on yourself, you just gave birth! But then again I am going to be a big creamy mashed potato myself when #3 comes in April.
Don't you wish we were super rich and could afford trainers, chefs, and tummy tucks right after the baby comes? Movie stars make it look so easy...I would like to see them do what we do everyday without help. I don't think they could.
Sorry for that tangent.
Post a Comment