Saturday, January 12, 2008

Reclaiming my life



I need to thank Brooke, Kristin, Bryn, and Aly for helping me reclaim my life. I have been thoroughly frazzled since Makay came to live with us and I got some much needed mommy time this week with these friends. I like to talk to people about my frazzleness to see if they have any tricks that help get things back to normal. Brooke suggested that I get a discipline system... I would like to think that I have one, but it has turned into yelling and idle threats since the frazzle. So now I give 2 choices and it is working wonders. Except when the choice is go to bed, or be in time out...he picks time out. So I had to rephrase that one.

Bryn, Kristin, and Aly made fun me because I complain about being tired and then they found out that Milo goes to be at 10:00 pm and ends up in our bed half the time. I am greatful they pointed that out to me..cause once again....when you're frazzled nothing seems as simple as it is. So last night...with the super nanny training video playing on the internet, i cracked down. I cant take it anymore. He isn't scared, he is just crazy and bouncing off the walls and pretty much controls everything. So I started putting him in his bed and when he got out, I put him back. I bet I put him back around 40 times, and when Josh got home, they had a man talk and he fell right asleep. The same thing happened tonight, except I only had to put him back 10 times and then the man talk did the trick. The man talk goes something like this..."Milo what do big boys do?" Milo says, "They don't sleep with their mommies and they go to sleep all by their self" That sort of breaks my heart, poor guy, but we can't take it anymore and tonight he was sleeping by 8:45. And now I am wasting "Our time" on the blog, but i am so excited and I thought you all deserved a big THANK YOU for your support and advice. Yea for the Mendenhall's!!! I have never been successful with sleep training with Milo since he was born. I have tried almost everything and never had any results. This shows that he is really a big boy.
FYI: I lost 2.5 pounds on Weight Watchers the first week, I am still loving it. I didn't work out today but I went to the homeless shelter to serve breakfast...that kind of counts...doesn't it?

7 comments:

Elena said...

You go, girl, yourself! 2.5 pounds is awesome. I hope the homeless shelter was a good experience. We had two basketball games and Scotty's birthday party - so anything else was way out of the question. As for bedtime - get that kid to bed! Even Ben has an 8 o'clock bedtime. He can read in bed for a while, but I am a BIG proponent of Elenatime. I pretend I'm not a mommy and actually enjoy time alone or with my hubby. It works. By the way, aren't sleeping kids the cutest? I didn't think Milo could get any more adorable - but he did.

Bryn said...

I have to say that I'm so proud of you for getting Milo in his own bed! Keep up the good work and don't ever give in, you deserve some time for yourself. Thank goodness for Super Nanny. We love Jo Jo and the naughty chair.

Annie Jane said...

Kristen you are inspiring! Danny and I have been pep talking ourselves into doing the same thing but haven't yet mustered the courage to just get the job done! He is on a business trip right now, but when he gets back we are following your lead!!

p.s. way to go, weight watchers!
kristen you look great, just so you know. I don't think I said anything, I just thought it and now I guess i have told you.

Tony and Erica said...

Whahoo.. Milo in his own bed. That was a never ending battle for the last 2.5 years. Congrats..Good thing Makay is a good boy. Youll get to enjoy your bed for once..

Van Cott Family said...

Wow! seriously impressed! great job, you will love having an earlier bed time. I am still dealing with bed time naughtiness-- going crazy! so you'll have to tell me where that super nanny stuff is online! Now that he can't get his pjs off, I can just expect a visit from him in between 12-3am. I just put him down again and hes good- go figure!
--Julie

Aly said...

I don't think that I deserve any part of that Thank you, but you're cute. I love that super nanny book, but I am struggling with the same things with Joey and have yet to take the plunge of cracking down on bed time. I am very impressed that you did it. I am going to get brave and do it myself. Way to go on the pounds lost!! I love WW. It's the only thing that you can do your whole life. Gotta love it.

The Ericksons said...

Well, I really want to do weight watchers as well. I need to find my point thing. I have now lost 3.5 lbs, so I am excited about that. Slow going, but its working! Good work for you!