Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What the H*#%?

Last night my 18 month old Makay, that is prized for his excellent sleeping abilities had major insomnia. This was my night last night. Bedtime at 6:30 (1/2 hour early, I do it all the time and it never affects him) 8:00 PM awake and a drink of water does the trick. 10:30 awake screaming this new high pitched scream that makes my bones quiver, Josh gets him up and tries to watch tv with him that only make him scream louder. I give him a bottle and let him lay with me in my bed ( he never does that...it only makes things worse ) He is relaxing and insists on laying on me (which is kind of cute since he is not a snuggler) I put him back in bed...with a bottle, it only lasts for a couple of minutes. 11:30 PM...I lay in Milo's bed with him and he is still screaming (Milo is on his make-shift bed on our floor, which gets used more than his bed. At least he is not in our queen sized bed anymore) After a minute or two of struggling to free himself he gets off Milo's bed and starts playing with toys...so I let him play till midnight then I put him in his bed with a pile of books and a night light. That lasts till 1:30 when the screaming(not really crying..just screaming) starts again. I go in there to find most of the books having been looked at and decide to try a movie. So there we are at 2:00 AM Makay is sitting on the couch watching Baby Einstein with a bowl of Animal Crackers munching away while I try to cover my face with a blanket on the couch for some relief. After a while, he started bugging me so I tried his bed again and this time it worked and he slept till his usual 7:30 AM. He is a little sleepy now (at lunch time) but I am making him wait for his nap till Milo goes to Preschool. The sad thing is, just yesterday I was thinking to myself that I am excited Jimmy Falon is on late night so there is something good to watch when you have a new baby at home (this is not a pregnancy announcement).....I guess I should watch what I wish for next time.

4 comments:

The Ericksons said...

We had an extremely familiar night! You had 2 kids though. I am sorry! It seriously sucks!

Aly said...

oH Man! I feel for ya!! Those nights are the absolute worst! you look amazing by the way! Just thought I'd tell ya that!!!

Melany said...

wow that totally sucks. no sleep = i go crazy and make everyone miserable around me.

Kelsey and Andy said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that, but it is comforting to know that we are not the only ones with bad sleepers who have watched movies at 2 am in desperation to make the screaming stop.