
Ok...so the part about the heat and towers is fake but I am almost ready for the SL 1/2 Marathon. I have been toying around with the idea of a 1/2 marathon for a long time now. My first spark of desire to run was actually from a family friend Wade. He was telling us that he went running clear up to Brighton High school...I was totally shocked! I didn't realize that people could run more than around the block or around a soccer field. So I started running in college and I got up to 5 miles a day and I felt great and looked great! Then I broke my arm and my arm would swell in the cast when I ran so I bagged it. I got married and worked full time and running just wasn't on my priority list. Then to get in post baby shape after Milo, Julie and I would run about 2-3 miles. I have run a few 5k's in the past few years and I totally love them. Josh did a Triathlon a few years back and I was so fueled by the racing atmosphere and I couldn't wait to have Milo so I could get into a race myself. I am not a very good road biker, so I decided that running would probably best suit my abilities. Since the town that i live in isn't very runner friendly and I hate doing loops around the subdivision, I haven't gotten into it until this year. I was out on a casual Saturday Morning run and I had this new ipod nike (tracks my miles and speed) I decided to get out of the neighborhood and try something new to challenge myself. That was the best thing i have ever done. I found a new route that isn't on a main road and isn't all uphill around circles and when I got back, I had run 4.5 miles!!! I was so proud of myself, and with a little online support from one of my BFF's in Nevada and Josh and the kids cheering me along I am almost to my first 1/2 marathon. I am exhausted from training but it will be worth it. I don't like talking about it much, it makes me uncomfortable...I actually have running posts that aren't published so I can just have them for future reference. 12 miles is a little much for me, I prefer to keep it between 4-6, but it feels great to accomplish something that i never thought I would dream of. Julie used to tell me to run a 10k and I could never see myself running over 5 miles again. I am glad I proved myself wrong.
13 comments:
Kristen you are so awesome!!! You are going to do so great at the half, especially with your mind strength. Just promise me that when you pass me you give me a high five. ;) Way to go on sticking to the running schedule and kicking some major butt! I am so excited for you. You are inspiring to keep pushing through the schedule.
Good for you! I'll be mentally cheering for you.
Good work Kristen. I am trying running out and it sucks. I guess you either like it or hate it! Good for you! Keep to it.
Way to go, I need your example now! I started strong but then pooped out and have been stuck on my 3 mile route for too long! when and where is your half marathon? Do I have time to train and meet you there?
--Julie
I am not going to lie about the thought of running that much makes me want to throw up a little! Good for you. You look fantastic!!
Mr Makay.. you STINKER.. then I come and bring my BIGGER STINKER. Im sure that made you day! I waiting for you run to EM. Ill drive you back. I am impressed with your running abilities.. SO is joshy.. he is bragging about how far you resently ran when ever we see him.
Good for you!! I am so jealous. I miss running so much. If we could get on the same baby making seasons we do a few races together. Wasatch Back is awesome if you know of anyone doing it you should get on their sub list. It's about the same distance as a half marathon but divided into three runs so you can bust your butt to go fast the entire segment. I am hoping next summer to be back to tip top shape and do Wasatch Back and the St. George Marathon. So excited for you. Oh and by the way that night's sleep is brutal. Hate to say it, but that has been my life for the past couple of months with Afton and Kenlie both waking up at different times in the night to go potty and the baby kicking my blatter enough to make me go every 45 minutes. Good times. We should have gotten together and watched a movie or something. Hope it's been better since and not a new trend.
You will do so great! I'm so proud of you for actually training. Maybe I will seriously train for mine this summer rather than thinking that 6 miles is sufficient. HA HA. Those last 2 miles were a bugger!
YOU ARE AMAZING!
Just the word "marathon" makes me shudder and want to walk very slowly in the opposite direction. I admire you for your desire, at least, to run a 1/2 marathon! I can imagine you are going to feel ON TOP OF THE WORLD once you finish! I felt that way, vicariously, while watching the Biggest Loser episode once they finished their half marathons (and secretly wished I could do it as well).
Good Luck!
YOU NEED TO GO TO ALYS BLOG ASAP.. YOULL LOVE IT!
Kristen!! fun post. I really appreciate it, since there are a few common threads with my running story!
I sure hope I can make it to SL to run with you. By the sound if things, though, I bet you will probably want to leave me in your dust at some point.
I know I am a dork! I just switched it back for today, because some of my YW wanted to look at my blog!! Hope you are doing well!!
That is awesome! I am so excited for you! Running is hard, and yet so rewarding. I can't wait to hear about your race...and don't be weird about posting about running, the truth about running and such makes it so people don't feel alone when they feel the exact same way. I am in Sandy for a while, lets hang out soon!!!
Post a Comment