
Last night Pride and Prejudice was on Channel 7 and I was so excited that it was on. Even though our channel 7 is fuzzy, I enjoyed every moment of it. I just found it channel surfing and it is rare that you find something worth while watching, let alone a classic. So I went from room to room hiding from the noise and I ended up in the office. Josh came to see what I was watching and quickly was sucked in to the old english dialogue, and the Bennett Sisters. I have never actually seen the whole movie in one sitting, and I was so excited to get the chance. By the time Mr. Darcey danced with Elizabeth and told her not to judge him...the kids were in bed and it was just getting good. I just kept thinking how it would be worth it to miss out on sleep and stay up until the end. Well Mr. Collins propsed to the beautiful Elizabeth (contrary to what Mrs. Bennett says...I think Elizabeth is much more beautiful than Jane) and she turns him down...then across the television flashes a notice to "stay tuned" so we "stay tuned" for another half an hour, watching lame advertisments and the movie never came back on...how long did they want me to "stay tuned" for? Till next Sunday? No thanks, i think I am going to have to go down to Hollywood to rent the movie so I can get my fix on a timeless classic. What a bummer! For all of you thinking, "why don't you just read the book, it is much better?" I have something to tell you. I tried to read it earlier this year and my brain cells are much smaller than they have ever been. I would try to muddle through that thick English dialogue on print, and it gave me a headache every time I opened the book. It is much more understandable on screen than it is in my head. Plus I have never been a literature buff...I read Of Mice and Men every year in high school so I wouldn't have to read a new book for my book reports. I always took the easy road...That is one of my dirty little secrets. However I do regret it now that I want to have more culture in my life and can't even make it through the first chapter of a Jane Austin Classic.
11 comments:
I somehow managed to survive an entire BYU career without seeing that movie. (I protested too much against Austen back then, mostly because there were so many girly-girls that watched it all the time.) I do hear, however, that there's a fabulous scene with Mr. Darcy and a white shirt, but I've never seen it. Maybe I'll find it next week on PBS.
But as for Austen's books, I'm more of a fan of the stories than actually READING them. She likes semi-colons too much, and her style tends to annoy me. And I'm an English teacher, so you're excused. Really. (Just admit that it's still better written than 'Twilight' and we'll be good...)
Oh, and if you're feeling Jane Austen-y, rent "Becoming Jane," which comes out this week. It's a cute what-if show about how Jane found her inspiration. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kristen, you are a crack up!
I love this movie and I love this book! Is this your first time seeing it?
Don't feel bad about not reading the book because this movie is very much like it. However, Ashley is right and the white shirt scene will be next week. I wouldn't rent it though, I would buy the DVD. It's good to watch the last 2 hours often :)
Also, if you like this movie, you need to watch Jane Eyre that Masterpiece Theatre did just a couple of years ago. It's a good one too.
Oh, and Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility are awesome too...OK, so I like all of them. Just enjoy them all!
(Can you believe that me, Kelly, read Jane Austen? I've turned many corners Kristen:)
Kristen I almost posted on my blog how every Sunday for the past few weeks PBS has been showing Jane Austin classics, all her books it seems have been made into movies and are on every Sunday at 9pm (my time). So don't fret the next 1/3 will be shown next Sunday and the final 1/3 will be on after that. If you can wait that long!
--Julie
But seriously you should really, really try again to read the original!!!
--Julie
Love the post. PBS surprises me sometimes too with good ole classics. But the stay tuned thing...Come ON!!
That is so frustrating!! I don't know what to say because I am in utter disbelievement!
I LOVE your boys pictures under your walmart post!! They are beautiful and you look gorgeous. Those are priceless. I also love what you did for your hubby, how exciting! I want to get into road biking, maybe someday.
Kris:
If you haven't rented it yet, I have all six hours. Just call me. You and Josh can borrow it any time.
Kim G.
Hey Kristen, I found you while blog surfing this morning. It was fun to see you and everyone from the 1st ward last night. I think that Jane Austen books are much better after you have seen the movie. They never make sense to me unless I already know that story. You should try reading it again now that you have seen the movie. PS: Your kids are really cute.
Post a Comment