Thursday, February 14, 2008

9 Size C Batteries, non scented candles, more MAGlights

That is my shopping list that came as a result of last nights power outage. I have a major fear of natural disasters...the very thought of them always makes me have anxiety. Having the power out for 7 hours with 2 little kids at home gave me a little glimpse of what it will be like. I always get scared when I get stuck in the car under any sort of bridge, I am afraid of flying because you never know if the planes wings will fall off, and I am afraid of the beach because a tsunami could hit with no warning and ruin a seemingly perfect vacation. So needless to say, I really was uncomfortable with my crazy imagination when I was home with the lights out. I made my sister and her family stay with me until Josh got home at 9:00 PM, and if they hadn't been there, I would have followed the Marble girls home when they came over to check on us. As far as my shopping list goes, the MAG light put off the most light, the c batteries are for this cool little TV/Radio/light that we have in the basement, and the non scented candles are so we don't get a headache breathing in 15+ different scents trying to keep the house lit so the kids didn't think monsters were coming. Actually they were so I didn't think monsters were coming...thanks to that monster show I Am Legend. As we fell asleep last night with both kids in the bed to keep everybody warm, Josh notices that I am wearing socks and says, "Aren't you something...the power goes out for the night and you act like it's the end of the world." Yep...that pretty much sums it up. Good thing we have water storage, for when "The Earthquake" hits.

6 comments:

The Ericksons said...

Oh goodness. I would have a royal freak out! That is horrible. We have this night light that we got from ikea that is battery powered that is way bright. That would have been a big help to ya! I am glad you are still alive!

Kelsey and Andy said...

Yeah- we all slept in the same bed too! Emma and Drew were both freaked out and the only thing to that would keep them busy once the sun went down was to sing 100's of songs. I want a generator!

Jill and Paul said...

kris-i totally agree about being prepared. its completly different once your a mom and have to think about your little ones. if it were just you, you'd probably feel a little differently. great advice on the non-scented candles.

Bryn said...

I might as well copy and paste your post to my blog and use it as my own because I felt 100% the same way. My husband didn't get home until 10:00pm and he couldn't believe that I thought this was a big deal. I sat in my freezing, dark house making out a emergency list. Definately a wake up call! We roasted once the power came on and we were wearing 3 pairs of jammies and 12 quilts. My fear is that this happened to prepare us for something much bigger!....Bye...Gotta go to the store before all those C batteries are gone!

Tony and Erica said...

I definately have my shopping list ready to go.. You seemed to have left out that we had Chili cooked on your propane grill in your kitchen. And I dont quite think you can say you made us stay, we were pretty much stuck on this with you due to road closures! It was a night that will surely make us get that prepardness stuff going real quickly!!

Linds Forrest said...

Your comments make my day! By the way... do you know where to get a good ol 72 hour survival kit?!