Thursday, March 13, 2008

Top Ten Comments from the Never Ending Cup Project








10. "Does Josh know he can only get an "A" in a class?" my dad regarding the time and energy it took to accomplish this feat.
9. "You're the smartest person I have ever met, for figuring this all out" Comment from student at Olympus
8. "Can we design our own custom face?" Sophomore before he realized actually how hard it is to design a face out of plastic cups.
7. "They Break" Exciting breakthrough while we were cutting 14,000 plastic cups with scissors one at a time. We ended up just tearing them all 5 at a time after that.
6. "Is there an adult around here that knows what is going on?" Goofy teacher of the class that helped us put all this together. Needless to say...day one, was chaos.
5. "Isn't it funny that some 'Artist' is supposed to do this and we are doing it?"Sophomore from the class regarding the cup project.
4. "I am going out on a limb here, but this doesn't look right" Helpful student trying not to hurt any feelings, when the words weren't turning out.
3. "Are these pictures going to be in the yearbook?"A student looking for his chance for yearbook fame.
2. "Milo what do you do with cups?"... "You put dem in da fence"
1. "Who in the world has time to do this?" A students comment when he walked past one of the fences.
The whole idea behind this is for a drug prevention campaign. He wanted to do it out on the tennis courts or baseball backstops, but the principal thought it would be a good idea to bring in portable fence panals and put them in the school ( Hopefully you can all picture me rolling my eyes right now) So as if we didn't have enough work to do we got portable fence panals and hauled them into Olympus High School. We had the kids help us put them together. They acutally went up pretty fast and some of them were pretty proud of their work. On Monday we put up faces with the message and on Thursday we switched the faces to skulls with the words "2 drug related deaths every hour" Josh also had posters all over the school advertising the CUPS (Challenging You to Pledge Sobriety) project. It also said Drugs Kill...get the picture. It was really well thought out and had awesome presentation. Good thing the grunt work was easy because it would have taken him forever to do it all himself. We had my mom, sister, Oma, cousins, sister in law and his mom and dad helping with it. It was a major family project.
Josh still has to go take the fences back to the fence place but it is mostly done. He/We have been working on this all school year. Since last September. And now all he has left to do is a web site and a business. Then we can tackle the Snowie. What wierdo's. Why can't we have cool things going on like buying 4 wheelers/or finishing our basement. We choose to spend our money and time on cups and Snow cones. I guess they are all an investment for a hopefully prosperous future. Wish us luck!






20 comments:

Phil Berry said...

Josh must be trying to compensate for all of those off-handed pool boy comments. Way to go on the project. You'll treasure the memories and laughs forever. You're only slightly making me regret doing as little as possible to get through my engineering program.

Annie Jane said...

(I am smiling) you guys are one in a million. The cup idea was well planned, carried out--and brilliant. Full props to you Josh for the creativity of the project. And the art looks great, too.

Elena said...

That looks AWESOME! At least with it inside you don't have to worry about the cold and wind. Wow, big job.

Elena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Amazing!! Oh to sill be in school and using my brain to think creatively. How fun for you guys. Just think of the stories you'll be able to share with your kids and grandkids. I was wondering what was keeping you away from the blogging world. Now hopefully we can have you back. Good job Josh.

Linds Forrest said...

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of! And so awesome that he made 'Cups' into an acronym (spelling?). For sure he has made a difference!

Mrs.Mayne said...

So I found myself blog stocking today. It always amazes me who I find. How do you know the Nordfelts? We went to same high school. I didn't know him well, but I knew his sister.

Tony and Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony and Erica said...

CONGRATS to the Menhenhalls for getting all that done, Although Josh did the project, we did some grunt work.. It turned out amazing, even having all of us random people help out. It was fun to able to help in such a neat project. I have to say Im glad I was apart of it Im also glad its over.. no more tearing, counting, or rearranging cups..PS
Thursday was much easier for me than Monday..
CONGRATS Josh

The Ericksons said...

That looks amazing! He did a great job!! It was really hard work. I am glad all is well!....now...!

Kim said...

I am thirsty after looking at all those cups.

Jennifer said...

WOW that is amazing. Way to go Josh!(and all the others that made it happen :) Should I expect my snowie this summer in a red or white cup??? Seriously that is awesome and SOOOO creative!

Bryn said...

That is one cool project. I'm sure that no kids in that high school will be doing drugs, thanks to the cups. I had to laugh at Jens comment with getting her snowie in a red or white cup. You probably never want to see one of those cups ever again in your life. Good work!

Kelsey and Andy said...

Wow- I am so glad you guys finished the project- no more counting cups for you! It looks great and now Josh is one step closer to graduation (I wish Andy was as close).

Mike said...

Sweet Josh! I felt bad the other day when you mentioned this project and I was totally oblivious to it. However, I have been anxiously anticipating these pictures of the final product. It looks great! We'll have to check with Kim's cousin or aunt about the overall impact at Olympus. PS Kris- Kim is excited for the spa, she doesn't have a sitter Monday though so Saturday or next week.

Bethie said...

that is simply amazing:) kuddos to you for helping and putting up with this "fun" project.

Aly said...

Holy crap! Tell Josh that it's amazing. So impressed!

Heidi Berry said...

It seriously is the coolest thing ever. I have been telling everyone to check it out. Good job Josh!

Ashley said...

Great job, Josh! It looks fantastic--I want to see more pictures.

Aly said...

Hey dude, when you have a sec. Give me your email address.
Thanks,
Aly