
So in order to capture some of the money that goes in and out of our bank account each week, we decided to team up and form (and stick to) a family budget. I had one going really well back before Makay came and I just can't seem to get it together again. Plus Josh hated my spread sheet because there was only 1 spot to write what was spent that day and I used the comments to detail what was purchased. So I suggested to him that he make a more functional spread sheet to record what was going on in hopes that it would motivate him to help me, and make it easy for both of us to use. *Keep in mind that Josh really likes to go the extra mile(s) for example, the cup project and Josh's life philosophy of "Go big or go home". Well Josh called me a few times last week to tell me that his spread sheet was coming along and how excited he was about the whole thing. So I have committed to sit down today and trade some of my cleaning/showering time for the budget. I opened up Josh's masterpiece and not only do I have a functional budget, It has 272 rows for me to enter my purchases..........all with a label of any possible expenditures. It has 13 categories, with at least 3 sub-categories for each category, and several sub-sub categories for a hand full of the sub-categories (each having their own color) The problem with this is that the budget looks like a large business could use it to manage their accounting, and it gives me the false impression that I am going to have to shop to keep up a large business rather than a small household. The more categories there are, the more ideas of places for me to spend money. Some parts of me would rather go back to Josh's other budget.....The Don't spend any money budget :)
FYI-This post is all out of love and I have been smiling while typing it....I just like to give Josh a hard time.
13 comments:
I agree i also like the D-S.A.M. budget better(Don't spend any money budget) good luck with that spread sheet, love you and have fun with A1:V272.xls
-josh
I just did the budget and now Milo is awake so wish me luck with cleaning. It wasn't all that bad.
So do you two just talk via blog these days?! :)
Y'all make me laugh.
That is hilarious. Just be glad that you don't get a weekly email with your Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual on Fridays with the amount that you have spent in each category with the percentage that you have left in each said category. Yep, that's my little love note each week. Have fun with your budget!!
If you guys are successful with the whole budget thing you need to come on over to my house and give Kurt and I some tips and encouragement. We've been talking the "We should start budgeting" talk for months and haven't yet started. Good luck with that spread sheet! I hope your able to fill all 272 lines with great purchases.
I want a copy of that spread sheet too. With 272 lines you better be writing down every stick of gum and can of coke. I actually would love to be dedicated enough to write everything down. Then maybe taxes every year wouldn't be so bad. By the way--you seriously crack me up. We really need to hang out again soon.
Please keep Josh FAR AWAY from Ted. If he got his hands on a 272 line budget it would be mayhem here! Although, if Josh would sell me a copyright version to the spread sheet that actually might be a fantastic birthday present for Ted next month. That and Dave Ramsey-Financial Peace- tickets!!
hopefully this budget plan will stick, We always start and nothing sticks around! Josh you gave her how many lines for spending money? your sure generous... now if only she got to spend it on anything she wanted... thats back to reality bites.. thats for sure.
I want to know wher you found that picture... that was pretty sweet
Hey I just saw your comment about the princess lunch. That post might haunt me for the rest of my ( and Jeff's because he's had to hear about it) life, but to clear things up it was Steph's friend Jen that sent me over the edge and I really don't think she said anything to terrible, she has just always been one of those mean girls to me and I was ticked that here she is showing up to comment on my blog and be mean. For a second I felt like I was in high school again with those mean girls that just won't go away, and she totally has a private blog, hence both of the annoyances stemmed from her comment. I know totally retarded, but I'm a girl and every now and then I'm entitled to a little freak out. Anyway--I thought your comment was dead on. I actually think after seeing it that way it is healthy for her to have those kind of experiences early on so she does build confidence and know she is a princess among a million other princesses and they are just as special and needed to be treated just as great as she needs to be treated. I feel bad you commented forever ago and I am just now thanking you for your post and here you've been feeling all guilty. Thanks for your sweet advice.
One word: QUICKEN
Yah I am currently out of budget mode. I use the "DSAM" approach and plan on sticking to that until we make more money. When I use a proper budget sheet, I get so stressed out and it doesn't do me any good at all. Right now, when we overspend, we have Danny to do a side job...which can create definitely create some more stress because it is a very irresponsible way to live but it works well enough, so we continue to do it. I think we are awful but then don't really blame us either (aka I am completely unrepentant).
Post a Comment